Translate

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Gillette Tech and the Wilkinson Sword Blade

My last shave of the week with the Wilkinson Sword blade was done using the Rimei RM2003 razor head on the Maggard "big boy" fat and heavy MR3B handle. (In fact, all my shaves lately have been with this handle.) For the first time this week, I took a standard three-pass shave. (I've been doing my faster, two-pass shaves before work: with grain, then against grain.)

This shave was very close, and though I've gotten away from using the phrase baby smooth, I was pretty much there -- at least on my cheeks.

Despite my impressions recorded in yesterday's article, I don't see much difference in the shave characters of the RM2003 and the Gillette Tech that I've been using. Yes, the Tech is better made using better, heavier materials and both edges have slightly more equal shave character, but in the scheme of things I don't think the difference is significant enough to matter. The materials in the RM2003 are good enough to do the job, both in terms of composition, thickness, and uniformity of manufacture.

Also, yesterday I believe I blamed the Tech for the slight residual irritation of my skin, but I got the same with the RM2003 this morning, so I'd chalk that up to the blade, which is sharp and durable, but not the best on my face.

Also, by the way, I've described my post-shave blade care as "patting" the blade dry with a square of toilet tissue. This isn't exactly accurate. I actually just lightly press the tissue on the blade, which is lying on a dry wash cloth. Then I flip the blade and repeat the process. My intention is to get it dry with as little abrasion on the delicate coating as possible.

So would I shave regularly with a Tech similar to my trial loaner? Sure, I think it's a fine razor head.

Ah, but would I buy one? I won't say no, but I'm not actively looking either. I don't think there's enough difference between the Tech and the Rimei RM2003 to justify the effort and expense of looking for and buying the right used razor. Also, my Lord L.6 and Merkur Classic razor heads are also similar enough to dampen my always-present razor-acquisition disease.

Finally, a special sincere thank you to Stephen from Massachusetts who had the kind generosity to offer the Tech for my trial shaves. I have really appreciated the opportunity to try out this fine example of a true old-school instrument. I'll be returning it shortly. Thanks again.

Next week's blade is one that I've liked in the past: the Gillette Silver-Blue blade. I'm looking forward to those shaves.

Happy shaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment