Translate

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Rediscovering the Lord -- the Lord LP1822L Razor, That Is

In my continuing quest to explore the nuances of razor-and-blade combinations, it is a continual balancing act with closeness of shave on the one hand and risk of skin insult on the other.

So this week, when I took out a fresh SuperMax Titanium blade, I immediately began by pairing it with the Merkur 33C Classic razor. This way I could compare it to my preceding shaves with the Personna red in the same 33C. Not surprisingly, the SuperMax shaves were as comfortable but perhaps not quite as close.

Here is pictured the razor head from the Lord LP1822L razor
paired with the handle from the Merkur Classic razor.
I find that the choice of handle is immaterial to the quality of the shave.
I eventually put the SuperMax blade into my c.1948 Gillette Tech after trying it in my Merkur 15C open comb (see preceding article), and found the Tech-SuperMax combination just a touch aggressive.

Then I remembered my Lord LP1822L razor. This razor is often incorrectly identified as shaving just like the Merkur 33C. They are similar in design, but have one salient difference: the blade-bar span in the Lord LP1822L's razor head is significantly wider. This larger blade-bar span allows the LP1822L to shave closer but with a bit more risk of weepers and cuts.

Yet when this razor is paired with the SuperMax Titanium blade, I can get a truly excellent shave. It does come with the predicted additional risk, but as long as I remember to take slow, deliberate strokes throughout my shave, I can get near-baby-smooth results -- absolutely top-drawer outcomes.



These observations are fundamentally a subtle case for having a small stable of razors to optimize choice of blade. For those like me with sensitive and highly-contoured skin to be shaved on face and neck, the following razors are my fewest-razor recommendations for those who take the equivalent of multi-pass shaves and seek optimally-close, comfortable outcomes:

  • Merkur 33C Classic razor for the sharpest of blades
  • Lord LP1822L razor for more moderate blades
For those who can accept a larger stable of razors on hand, I might add the following:

  • Weishi 9306-F razor as an alternative mild razor for the sharpest of blades
  • Post-WWII Gillette Tech for moderate blades and those with smoother skin contours or less delicate skin for moderate blades
  • Rimei RM2003 razor as a slightly more aggressive instrument than the preceding Tech
Happy shaving!



1 comment:

  1. I've done a similar test with my shaving creams and soaps. The idea was to categorize what works best for me with my climate and water hardness. Not concentrating so much on fragrance as I was on cushion and slickness.

    About two weeks ago I started something similar with my blades. I know that a sharp blade in a mild razor works good for me with minimal burn. So I got to thinking about blade smoothness. If a blade is less sharp and more smooth can I reduce skin damage and still efficiently remove the beard with minimal passes. That is, if smoothness is defined by how rounded the cutting edge is. If so, how aggressive must I go with a razor to get the full advantage of a less sharp but smoother blade? Since I own a Merkur 33C, I just bought a Lord's razor to add to the collection to expand my options.

    Thanks for getting me to think about this!

    ReplyDelete