I ordered my Ming Shi 2000S from Maggard Razors (maggardrazors.com) for the following reasons:
- Good reputation for prompt order fulfillment
- Shorter transit time from a distributor within the USA
- From Maggard one will receive the product advertised, so I don't have to worry about communication and bait-and-switch issues that sometimes muck up purchases from off-shore sellers.
- Good reputation for customer service
- I don't use the word imitation as a pejorative. It is actually a compliment of sorts.
- The 2000S, visually, is a nice-looking, apparently high quality instrument, with a satin-chrome finish.
- As is frequently reported, the 2000S is a heavy weight, but not quite as heavy as the Futur. With blade it weighs 3.5 ounces (99g).
- The overall physical dimensions of the 2000S are similar but not necessarily identical to the Futur:
- Overall length: ~4.25 inches (~108 mm)
- Handle length: ~ 3.5 inches ( ~89 mm)
- Handle diameter: ~ 3/8 inch (~9.5 mm) and ~1/2 inch (~12.7 mm)
- The numbers that indicate the adjustment settings are applied on rather than inset in the handle, so it's possible that they might eventually disappear if subjected to abrasion. Only time will tell....
- When inserting a blade, the usual method applies:
- On a cushioning cloth, set the top cap with prongs pointing upward.
- Lay the blade into the inverted top cap.
- Press the baseplate-handle assembly onto the inverted top cap until the parts snap together
- When removing a blade:
- Lay a cushioning cloth on the counter.
- Invert the razor (handle up) over the cloth -- close but not touching.
- With a thumb, gently push one end of the top cap down and away from the baseplate-handle assembly.
- The top cap will (should) fall away onto the cushioning cloth. The blade may stay in the top cap, or it may separate from the top cap and fall separately onto the cloth.
- If the blade remains in the top cap, carefully remove it taking care not to damage the edge if you will be reusing the blade for another shave. This is not a big deal and should not be a problem for competent grown ups. ;-)
Shaves to this Point
The Under-Nose Shave
The Current Verdict
Razor Garage Sale Continues w/ New Additions & ** Price Reductions ** !!!
Many have already taken advantage of the offerings. Don't wait or you may miss a good bargain.
Keep in mind that there is about $4 of packaging and mailing costs embedded in the prices of my DE garage-sale razors (the straight is a little less expensive to mail because it's flatter), and there really isn't a lemon in the bunch.