Translate

Friday, October 20, 2017

Omega Syntex Brush: A Long-Term Evaluation

The ideal qualities that any brush might have include the following:
  • Moderate size: large enough to lather one's face easily without being so large that lather ends up in unwanted geography
  • Holds sufficient moisture and lather
  • Has good backbone
  • Maintains its shape
  • Made of durable materials
  • Dries quickly
  • Doesn't require much care
  • Isn't stupidly expensive
  • Is comfortable to use against one's skin
  • To be manufactured, it doesn't rely on dead animals
  • When new, there's no offensive odor to dissipate 
The Omega brand Syntex model brush is a near ideal option. I've used it for several years, and it has become the only brush that I use. The reasons correspond to those listed above.

It is one of the least expensive brushes available. Its knot has good backbone, and is just-right sized for applying lather to face while maintaining optimal control. It holds mosture and lather well. Being made of synthetic fibers, it dries quickly, never stinks of dead animals, is impervious to water damage, and you can just set it on the counter top to dry after shaving -- whether you choose to rinse or not.

     

The one caveat that I would offer is that when this brush is new, the bristle tips are a bit abrasive against skin. With use they become broken in and the abrasive issue goes the way of the dodo bird. 

I prefer the Syntex to my boar brush, which is too big. I prefer the Syntex to my badger brush, which doesn't have a lot of backbone. None of my brushes were very expensive, and the Syntex was between the others' price points, currently available for about U.S. $13.

I characterize this brush as great for traveling or at-home use. It's also great for bowl or face lathering. It's available in three plastic handle colors: green, blue and red. If you're in the market for a new brush and have the patience to use it gently until broken in, I heartily recommend this one.

Happy shaving!




3 comments:

  1. I don't enjoy the Omega synthetics. I have the S-Brush and to get it to splay out I have to apply lots of pressure, it's uncomfortable to face lather with. I prefer the Plisson, you don't need any more backbone than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dan:
      First of all, sorry it took me so long to post your comment.

      In regard to your preference to have the brush "splay" while lathering: frankly, I don't get it. This brush lathers beautifully despite the fact that, as you correctly imply, the knot stays rather unified instead of yielding into a more circular, flat surface. This, of course, is the very definition of backbone.

      The Syntex knot yields (splays) perfectly in my opinion -- though, as your comment suggests, opinions vary.

      I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Happy shaving!

      Delete
  2. Grat brush to face lather. Works fine with a bowl also. Quality item. O hair loss in a first few uses. My first choice.

    ReplyDelete