Translate

Friday, December 1, 2017

New Appreciation for an Old Classic: Gillette Slim Adjustable

Years after discovering my dad's long-abandoned Gillette Slim, I have learned to use its adjustability for optimal effect on my beard, and finally, finally like the instrument enough to include it as a regular for use in my daily shave.
I have a difficult time getting the lighting right
when I photograph my Slim. It is actually in good
condition, with an intact, uniform plating, though
my photos often look otherwise.

Long relegated to the back of my bathroom razor drawer as a special-occasion razor -- ceremonial, if you will, for days like Fathers' Day and my dad's birthday -- I always appreciated it for its quality and durability, but not its shave. Made of brass and plated with nickel, the potential reliability over the years if properly looked after as well as its flexibility due to its adjustable blade-bar span has made this workhorse a respected and collectible shaving icon.

I previously never had much love for the Slim, however. Yet something changed over time. Perhaps a combination of things. I know my shaving pressure has gotten lighter over the years as my razor choices have evolved and influenced my shaving technique. Perhaps my skin is less sensitive as well. Yet for whatever reasons, I have been using the Slim for several days now, getting rewarding shaves that have caused me to completely re-evaluate my perspective on this vintage instrument.

My Current Process with the Slim Fully Uses its Adjustability

This classic razor, manufactured in 1963, is a one-piece design
(a butterfly type), with an adjustable blade-bar gap. This may
be my best photo reflecting the good condition of my Slim.
Lately for my morning shaves I've been heating a Greek-yogurt cupful of water in the microwave for a minute, and using that to make lather. So this means that I'm back to doing warm-water shaves. Also, with the Slim, I've been using my soap of many samples, which has remarkable slickness. My beard prep is perhaps simpler than most others may use. I do my first warm-water lathering on my dry beard. Then I set out the remainder of my gear for the shave. After that, I re-lather once or twice before actually beginning the shave itself.
I start with the Slim set to 2 (out of 9). My first pass is largely across grain, though on my upper lip and on my chin it is both across and with grain.

Then for my second pass, I set the razor to 1 and shave my upper lip against grain. Then I set the razor to 3 and shave shave the remainder of my beard against the grain.

Final clean-up strokes on neck, chin and jaw line are done simply by adding warm water to the residual soap on my skin, and with the razor still set to 3, re-touch those areas that are not quite smooth enough.

This morning, once again, I got a very good shave that was about as close as I can get without insult to my skin. 

Happy shaving!


No comments:

Post a Comment