Translate

Saturday, November 11, 2017

A Potential Williams Drawback, and Black Bot Hopes

After pulling my puck of Williams shave soap out of its long-term storage in a refrigerator (keeping it cool slows the chemical reaction that eventually, after a really long time, turns soap into something that looks like soap, but isn't), I've started to give this readily-available shaving product a closer look.


I've previously written that it's an adequate product and even given it some low-key compliments. After today's shave, I'm rethinking that.

Today I used my Rimei RM2003 razor with a second-use SuperMax Titanium blade, and, of course, Williams shave soap. What I've noticed about Williams, unlike some (most?) other shave soaps is that it doesn't seem to have the residual slickness when it becomes rather thin and in lower proportion to water.

Other shave soaps, for example, at the end of a shave, when touch-up strokes may be appropriate with just a little water added to the invisible soap layer left on the skin, provide good slickness, good glide, Williams, on the other hand, seems to be sticky rather than slick in those conditions.

So once again I'm in experiment mode. I'll be using the same razor and blade for a while, alternating between Williams soap and others in my soap drawer to see just how it compares for daily shaving.

Stay tuned as I post my impressions.

****

Also, I wrote an email this morning to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA). At the Maggard Meet last spring, PAA reps were passing out sample packets of a mentolated after-shave jelly in the Black Bot fragrance. I really liked this product -- both the soothing, cooling feel of the mentholated jelly and the Black Bot scent, which is a modern nod to the old Hai Karate brand Black Belt bouquet. (I already have balm, shave soap, and deoderant in the Black Bot fragrance.)


So I'm waiting to hear back on the availability of the mentholated after-shave jelly in any scent but especially in the Black Bot version.


I'll keep you posted on that as well.
UPDATE: I received word that the jelly aftershave is available, and so I immediately ordered some!


Happy shaving!



No comments:

Post a Comment