Translate

Sunday, November 26, 2017

De-Stinking Offensive Shave Soaps

I've previously written about Arko shave soap and its controversial bouquet. If you hate the smell of Arko, leave it unwrapped for weeks, and eventually the smell diminishes so that it's mild and pleasant.

Though Arko's fragrance never bothered me personally, I absolutely hate many flowery scents, which remind me of dying flowers, potpouri, or an old-lady's clothes closet.

Last spring I acquired many shave-soap samples and a couple of actual large-quantity raffle give aways. Most of these have stayed in my bathroom drawer because I found their fragrances to, in the main, offend my olfactory. This includes some well-known and expensive brands.

Last week I got tired of seeing and storing all these samples. So rather than throw them away, I scraped all the small samples into a re-purposed cream-cheese number-five-plastic bowl. To that I added a bit of water and carefully melted the soap in the microwave to better conform to the bowl shape.

The large, raffle-winning tubs of soap -- that to my nose smelled awful -- those I simply left open to the air in their original containers. All the tubs of soap -- both the factory packaged and the mass of aggregated samples -- still stank [updated, corrected verb conjugation] after a day or two. So I got a brainstorm. I remembered that I had a pump bottle of an unscented odor-removing product called Smells Begone.

This morning I sprayed this odor-removing product onto the tubs of shave soap, and immediately the offending fragrances were diminished. Unfortunately, in the two factory-packed tubs, the fragrance returned after the odor remover had dried. In the home-mixed tub of many soap samples, the offending odor has remained reduced to some degree. This may be because the surface of my home-melted soap mixture is much lumpier and bumpier, which offers more surface area and pockets for the odor reducer to stay and work its magic.

I'll report in the future on the progress of this soap de-stinking project.

Happy shaving!


No comments:

Post a Comment