Translate

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Afterglow, a Thank You, and Thoughts on Lightening One's Burden (Shaving and Otherwise)

I am still basking in the warm afterglow of readership for yesterday's article on inspecting a DE razor before first use. This is due to the generous posting about this article on reddit by mantic59, the Sharpologist (click here for his web site and here for his YouTube channel -- both are enjoyable and informative). Many thanks to the Sharpologist, a.k.a. Mark H, for the link.

I have a few themes to which I often gravitate: getting the best shave possible; the joys of the shaving ritual; helping new DE (double-edge) shavers get the best initial experience and avoid, as much as reasonable, unwarranted acquisition disease (razors, blades, soaps, etc.); thrifty shaving; being more aware of environmental issues; the technical issues of shaving gear; and my latest long-term project... creating the best all-natural shaving soap for sensitive skin. (I hope to be offering low-cost samples sometime in the not-too-distant future; email me to be included on an announcement-email list.)
My two favorite razors. However, I furthered simplified and now just use the one on the right: the Merkur 37C, which really works best for me.

I think that simplification of one's life also has a place in today's busy and sometimes confusing world. What we own, in a true sense, owns us as well; we have to store and often maintain our stuff -- which has a real cost (in terms of both cash and precious personal energy), whether we recognize it or not. Some acquisition is unavoidable, but much accumulation of stuff in my life is due to plain carelessness. I'm trying to change that, make more mindful decisions. Toward that end, I had whittled my normal daily shaving tools down to two. I have now, just this week and for the time being, further simplified that to a single razor, my favorite: the Merkur 37C slant bar; the rest are now stored in a shoebox in a closet, awaiting further disposition as appropriate. Similarly, I have stored my second shaving brush, an inexpensive badger-bristled brush, and use my sole, inexpensive, boar brush, which is more than adequate.

The ultimate simplification is a newer movement that I have also been observing: tiny houses. While certainly not for everyone, if I were single and living alone, I would be tempted to more seriously consider this as a personal life-style option.

If you are a new-comer to my humble blog on DE shaving, welcome. If you have any questions or issues that are of interest to you, let me know in a comment or an email, and I'll consider them as topics for an article. It's not that my opinions are so very special, but I do carefully consider things and sometimes approach a topic with a slightly different perspective.

Hope you visit often. Happy shaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment