Translate

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Reducing the Aggressiveness of Adjustable DE Razors

[UPDATE: If this article is relevant to your interests, be sure to read the comments section at the very bottom. Some additional, useful information is provided there in a short comment conversation between an informed reader and the author.]

I am on record saying several things about the Parker Variant adjustable razor:

  • Its shaving geometry makes for a non-irritating shave.
  • It may be the best affordable adjustable razor design on the market.
  • It adjusts to settings sufficiently aggressive to satisfy most users who prefer (or for some reasons need) a very aggressive razor.
  • Its adjustment range is adequate to meet the needs of most (but not all) users.
  • Like every adjustable DE of which I'm aware, it doesn't adjust to a mild enough setting for users who prefer or need very mild razors  -- like me.

Long ago, I stopped using my Variant for the first four to six shaves with most new blades. Instead I used milder razors that were less likely to nip my wound-prone skin, which is NOT in and of itself baby smooth. Though you can't tell by looking, my skin is rather micro rough, which leaves it prone to nicks/weepers whenever I shave certain areas to my desired level of closeness.

I found a simple solution to the not-mild-enough problem with the Parker Variant (and likely other adjustables such as the Merkur Progress as well as the Merkur Futur and other razors based on the Futur design -- even the Gillette adjustables!).

The solution is to elevate the shave plane slightly, thus lowering the blade edge in relation to the shave plane. This is done easily and inexpensively (and without risking any harm to the razor) with a few strips of electrical tape.

With a couple of strips of electrical tape, the shave plane of the razor can be tweaked to shave just a bit milder.


What the added tape does is make the top cap just a tad thicker near the blade. This raises the top cap's contact point with the skin. This raised contact point tips the shave plane slightly more away from the blade edge, which makes the blade exposure slightly negative -- meaning that the edge is now slightly below the shave plane, rather that directly on it.

Without the tape on the top cap and the razor at its mildest setting, the blade exposure is fairly neutral, with the edge pretty much at the shave plane. This can be too aggressive for a minority of users.

With just a single layer of electrical tape and the razor set to its mildest setting, the shave plane rises enough that the edge is now clearly underneath it. This is a negative-blade-exposure configuration, and makes the razor much safer, more user friendly for those with easily-nicked skin.

Happy shaving!


5 comments:

  1. Tape on the top of the cap might work for awhile, but the adhesive will wear off and out from the edges of the tape. Reverse shims could be used to accomplish a similar effective raising of the cap and decrease in blade exposure, but with the Parker Variant, you could use thin tape strips under the cap edges to both decrease blade exposure and guard span:

    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Modifying_Safety_Razors

    I'm currently using tape strips under cap edges with one daily driver. The constant pressure on the tape, situated between the blade and cap, keeps the tape in place and makes its use virtually endless. Painter's tape is my favorite choice for several reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip and the reference!

    For the Variant, this is definitely something I'm going to try ASAP: reverse tape shims on the underside of the top cap. I was aware of the durability issue of the exposed tape, and was going to see how long it lasted before replacement was necessary.

    This morning I had my first shave with my Gillette Slim modified with tape strips on the outside (the top) of the top cap, and for me the shave was noticeably improved. I'd be interested to know if anyone has put tape shims underneath the butterfly doors of a one-piece razor, and, if so, how it worked.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Doug. I'm sure that tape strips under the cap edges will really improve the Variant for you. You might even need to double up on the tape, making two layers. It depends on your tape thickness, of course, and also the blade width. With a Kai blade in the Bevel, I use two layers of painter's tape (under the cap edges) and one shim (under the blade) to reduce the guard span and make the blade exposure fairly neutral while increasing the blade rigidity a bit.

    For TTOs, such as the Gillette Slim, my razor modification guide falls short. I developed the guide before considering TTOs. Afterwards, I asked about TTOs. They have been shimmed before, but it can be tricky. As for reverse shims (above the blade), I don't believe that I found any reports of anyone having done that, but I saved a note to myself about how reverse shims in TTOs should generally lower the blade, decreasing blade exposure and guard span, and probably increase rigidity, too. Tape strips in TTOs may or may not be feasible. I don't know. If someone has used tape underneath TTO doors, I've never seen it reported. After I started experimenting with tape strips under cap edges, I searched to find out if I was the first and found only one report from 2012 about someone using strips of duct tape, three layers thick, in taming his Mühle R41. Pictures were not included, but the description was clear.

    I recommend taking off the tape from the top of your Gillette Slim's doors and trying a reverse shim (between the blade and doors). Two or three reverse shims might even work better, if you can fit them in the particular TTO. It all depends on what combination of safety razor parameters works best for you. If there is room, you could even try a combination of reserve shim(s) and regular shim(s) to decrease the blade exposure and guard span while increasing blade rigidity as much as possible, given the maximum number of shims that the TTO allows. Tape strips under the cap edges are another option, but the technique might not work well with the TTO. Reverse and normal shims are much easier to experiment with, so I'd start with them.

    Good luck! Keep us posted! Your experimentation with safety razor modification could very well turn into an enlightening article, or series of articles, that Mantic59 and others might find really interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you may have seen, I posted an article this morning (July 1, 2018) that tells of me removing the tape from my Variant and adding a reverse shim instead, with a very good outcome. I did, just for fun, try the reverse shim in my Gillette Slim Adjustable. I didn't shave with that, but just checked for how the doors would close and lock in the blade. It didn't inspire confidence, so I set that project aside for now.

      By the way, I did refer to the article you suggested on Badger & Blade, and I found it to be a very high-quality piece. Well done. Recommended reading!!

      Delete
    2. By the way, just to clarify my preceding paragraph into UNAMBIGUOUS English, I'll re-write it:

      By the way, I did refer to YOUR article IN BADGER & BLADE as you suggested, and I found it to be a very high-quality piece. Well done!! Recommended reading!!!

      Delete