Translate

Monday, July 2, 2018

A Confirmation that the Reverse-Shimmed Variant is a Great Move

My first shave with my reverse-shimmed Parker Variant was described in my previous posting. And a great shave it was!

This Parker Variant is now the only DE razor that I use!


But one great shave doesn't tell the whole story any more than a good opening paragraph portends a gripping novel.

The real tests come when using various blades that are known for their out-of-the-wrapper sharpness. This includes some of those in my large-inventory cache such as Astra Superior Platinum, Personna (blue as well as red) and Shark.

So this morning I opened a fresh Astra blade and put that into my Variant -- along with the reverse shim inserted between the top cap and the cutting blade.

Bottom line: another great shave!

Today's shave was the first of what I believe will be many shaves that confirm the potential of the Parker Variant to be the ideal razor for every DE user. For most it is ideal right out of the box. For a minority of users, who need a razor with a less-aggressive shave character, all that is needed is some strips of tape applied to the underside of the top cap, or a reverse-shim inserted between the top cap and the blade.

As a result of these trial shaves, I have further simplified my at-hand inventory of razors. There are now only two:

  • I have my Parker PTB barber's straight razor for various hair trimming such as the back of my neck.
  • My Parker Variant is now the only DE razor that I keep at hand. (The rest are in my razor box in a bedroom closet.) The Variant now (with the added reverse shim) has the aggressiveness range to address all my shaving needs including early shaves with very sharp blades.


Further confirmation of the adjustment range of my Variant with come with first-blade-use shaves with Personnas (both red and blue) and Sharks. I can hardly wait!

Happy shaving!

1 comment:

  1. I've tried shimming to obtain a little more aggressive shave, but never tried the reverse shim to raise the cap of the razor. Good idea!

    I recently bought a short handle Merkur Progress. When I was trying to make a decision on the Parker or the Merkur, I kept coming across post from users of both that kept saying that the Merkur was less aggressive. I chose that one and it has really made a difference in my shaves and longevity of the blades. Other concerns like the smooth handle has not been a problem. I think sometime down the road I will get the parker, but for now I'm happy. No doubt about it, the head design on both razors are unique and give better shaves. All my other razors are gathering dust!

    Since you are shimming, here is something to think about. I had wanted to start measuring the thickness of various blades. I think that some blades are thicker than others. But since the flood, my micrometers are in storage and not easy to get to right now. If blade thickness is different among blades, then knowing which is thicker or thinner would allow you to find the one that works best. Anyway just a thought. I had noticed that some blades take a little more effort to snap in half than others.

    Anyway, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete