Translate

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

A Shim in My Snap-together Two-piece Razor

As promised yesterday, I shaved this morning with a reverse shim in my Ming Shi 2000S razor, a Chinese instrument based on the original Merkur Futur design.

Sold to me by Maggard Razors, the Ming Shi 2000S razor is based on the original
Merkur Futur design, but with some slight changes including added lather slots.

With my edge-less shim in place between the top cap and the shaving blade, I took a down-up shave followed by a third pass and some clean-up strokes.

My down-up passes were set on one, the razor's mildest setting. My third pass, as much as possible strictly against the grain, was set to two, and then additional, final under-jaw clean-up strokes on three.

The outcome was a very good shave (as expected). I did have two minor wounds due to careless cockpit error, not equipment failure.

So the bottom line on today's trial is this:

If you have a two-piece adjustable razor -- one whose design is based on either of Merkur's razors, the Progress or Futur --  and your adjustable is just too aggressive for you on its mildest setting, then a reverse shim may just be the solution to make your adjustable razor ideal.

Happy shaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment