Translate

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday Summary: Lord Platinum Class, Travel Handle, Work-Day Shaves, and Other Notes

c.1946-1950 Gillette Ball-End-Handle Tech on left; 
1965 Gillette Travel Tech on Right
My recent every-day two-pass shaves have been quite good. As a simple with-grain (mostly), then against-grain (mostly) shave, they are quite safe and smooth as well as fairly fast at about 12 minutes. By mostly with and against grain, I mean that first-pass strokes are largely downward, and second-pass strokes are generally upward (except for on my upper lip), even though the grain of my beard does vary here and there.

This week's Lord Platinum Class blades have performed quite well in the Tech razor heads that I've been using. This week was a rotation through the brass-substrate, gold-colored, post-WWII Gillette Tech head; my 1965 nickel-plated Gillette Travel Tech head with the cast-Zamak top cap; and the Rimei RM2003 modern imitation Tech head. (When I say head, I mean both the top cap and base plate, of course.)

The handle that I've been using most frequently of late is the gold-colored ball end that came with the late-'40s model Tech, and which is shown in the pictures. I find it to offer good grip, and a nice weight. Visually the gold-colored handle pairs well not only with its original razor-head mate, but also with the nickel and chrome plating of the other Tech-style razor heads that I prefer.

c.1946-1950 Gillette Ball-End-Handle Tech on left;
1965 Gillette Travel Tech on Right
This week I've also pulled out the short-but-reasonably-heavy (20 grams) steel-substrate Travel Tech handle from its vintage zippered case and used that with all of the razor heads for morning shaves. I don't travel that often, but when I do, I want to bring along a razor that I like -- that I'm completely comfortable using -- and the travel handle with any of the Tech heads is a pleasure to use.

Though not expensive, my vintage shaving components are valuable to me, and I would not pack my vintage travel handle or a vintage razor head in checked luggage. Instead I would either pack it (without blades, of course) in a carry-on bag, or simply put it in my pocket, when flying.

The Lord Platinum Class blades have previously been at the bottom of my list of preferred blades from my cache of large-inventory blades. However, with these two-pass work-day shaves, I can't tell much difference between this blade and others that I have preferred more in the past. This is the least expensive blade that I use, and when paired with a Tech head and a two-pass shave, it is probably the best value of any of the blades that I've used.

Also, I've been using an Omega Syntex brush ever since I started the no-rinsing-of-the-brush experiments. Though it was initially harsh feeling when new, I have come to really like this inexpensive little performer for face lathering, which is all I've been doing since I started the no-rinse tests. My face doesn't notice the brush any longer, but I don't know if it's the brush or my face that has changed. The brush hasn't ever lost a bristle that I can recall, and, because the bristles don't absorb water but merely hold it between bristles, there's no pre-shave soaking of the brush required, so it's quick and easy to use in the time-limited shaves before work. If you try one of these brushes, which I would recommend, you may find it harsh at first, but if so, give it some time before you reject it.

That's it for this Saturday summary. Happy shaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment